WaterMate: Hydraulic Design and Analysis Software
WaterMate is the municipal water reticulation design & analysis software package, which is part of the Technocad urban design software suite.
Technocad urban (municipal) design software is a suite of personal-computer based programs for the design and automated draughting of civil engineering municipal services. Incorporated in this suite are software packages that cover all aspects of civil engineering services design such as Digital Terrain Modeling, Roads, Sewer reticulation, Stormwater reticulation and Water supply.
All the packages have been written with knowledge gained in the civil design office where the need for fully automated draughting, rather than manually manipulated computer aided draughting, was identified as the only way of increasing design and draughting productivity.
The purpose of the software is to provide an intuitive graphical approach to water reticulation design, whereby information for the hydraulic analysis is gleaned directly from the AutoCAD drawing. In addition, WaterMate gives you final working layout drawings with the minimum amount of manual input. Can be used for networked systems and overland distribution pipelines.
Water networks have the nodes and pipes numbered and co-ordinated. This allows for easy re-arrangement of the network layout without having to manually re-number nodes and pipes. Layout drawings are created automatically from parameters chosen by the designer. Because you are working in AutoCAD, you can easily add extra notes, background images or attach reference files etc. prior to plotting the final working drawings. Let WaterMate do all the previously boring and mundane work!
The hydraulic analysis of the drawn water network is done with a selection of reservoirs and hydraulic devices being placed anywhere in the network. Pipe information is stored in your drawing, so you only have to enter it once. Enter data using user-friendly dialog boxes.
Horizontal layout drawings
The designer simply has to draw the lines of the water network in plan in AutoCAD, connecting the plots/stands as required, creating a closed/open looped network in the process. Line endpoints indicate node positioning requirements. You can use both lines and polylines to represent your pipes. You assign pipe properties such as diameters and friction factors etc graphically with the option of picking from a commercial pipe database.
WaterMate – Assign Pipe Data
Simply place reservoir (infinite supply) or tanks (limited volume) wherever these are required. Enter drawoffs from your network graphically at node positions; even assign peak draw-off factors or drawings varying with time in a defined pattern to certain areas of your network graphically.
WaterMate – WaterMate – Drawoff & Head patterns
Sprinklers with defined sprinkler coefficients are also handled.
WaterMate – Example of water reticulation layout drawing
When you have created your water reticulation layout, simply ‘window’ the network in WaterMate and the following is calculated automatically:
- Nodes / reservoirs / tanks are numbered and sorted
- Pipes are numbered and sorted
- Node/pipe topology automatically determined
- Nodes are co-ordinated to the Cartesian survey system or Lo system
- Pipe lengths are calculated and totalled
A layout drawing is automatically produced for any desired scale (WaterMate takes care of all your text sizes), and the following is drawn for you, all on separate layers:
- Node numbers at a selected angle to the horizontal
- Pipe numbers or diameters midway above each pipe
- Pipe lengths midway below each pipe
- A co-ordinate list for all nodes/reservoirs/tanks
A Pipe Data list for all pipes giving:
- From node – To node
- Pipe length
- Pipe diameter
- A summary of total pipe lengths by diameter
Query your input data graphically
As you have input your data graphically, WaterMate allows you to query your data. You can perform queries such as “Show me all the 150 diameter pipes that have a pressure class = 10”. You can perform global edits on your input data; for example, change all existing 200 diameter uPVC pipes that are class 10 to class 12. This unique feature makes changes to your network a pleasure!
WaterMate creates all the information it requires for hydraulic analysis and time simulation directly from the drawing:
- Reservoir positions, ground levels and water levels
- Node numbers and associated pipe numbers
- Node ground levels (directly from an in-memory interrogation of the SurfMate or AutoCAD Civil3D surface – lightning fast!)
- Drawoffs and drawoff-time patterns at specified nodes
- Pipe lengths
- Friction (roughness) “k” factors for each pipe
- Internal diameter of each pipe
All this information is kept in open ASCII type data files that you have access to – no closed proprietary database!
Various types of hydraulic devices can be used anywhere in the network:
- Reservoirs or tanks with maximum and minimum water elevations and volumes (with volume/height curves) can be put at any node
- Pumps, using predefined commercial pump curves, 3-point pumps or single duty point pumps
- Pressure reducing valves (PRV)
- Pressure sustaining valves (PSV)
- Flow control valves
- Non-return valves (check valves)
- General purpose loss valves
- Constant power pumps
- Minor losses can be allowed for.
- An overall draw-off factor and drawoff pattern can be included to allow for global peak factors.
The hydraulic analysis uses an extremely fast method of convergence and static analysis or time simulation is completed in seconds – even for large networks.
Hydraulic results include:
- A schedule of piping quantities
For each pipe:
- Diameter chosen (mm)
- Flow (l/s)
- Velocity (m/s)
- Calculated Darcy friction factor
- Calculated equivalent Hazen Williams friction factor
- Friction loss in metres and metres / metre
- Status (open or closed)
For each node:
- Energy level (m)
- Pressure (m)
For each reservoir / tank:
- Level (m)
- Status – flowing / closed etc
- Flow from reservoir (l/s)
For each pump or other hydraulic device:
- Pumping head (m)
- Flow (l/s)
Time Simulation Parameters
When doing a hydraulic simulation of the network over time the following can be allowed for:
- Reservoir water levels can vary with time.
- Tank water levels can vary with time depending on out/in flows.
- Every drawoff can have flow vs time patterns.
- A global flow vs time pattern can also be applied.
- Control statements can be applied for any pipe e.g. PIPE 200 CLOSED IF NODE 23 ABOVE 70.
- Rules can be applied e.g. IF TANK 2 LEVEL ABOVE 12.3 THEN PUMP 100 STATUS IS CLOSED AND PIPE 122 STATUS IS OPEN
View results graphically
As well as providing your results in the traditional ‘calculation-pad’ style, WaterMate allows you to view your results graphically – a picture instantly provides an overview that many hours of inspection of raw data cannot!
WaterMate – Graphical view of hydraulic results
WaterMate has a built-in seamless link to the SurfMate DTM software package to contour the energy levels and/or the working/static pressures optionally varying over time so as to highlight low or high pressure zones. This option is available straight from the WaterMate menu!
WaterMate – Working pressure contours
WaterMate – Graphical visualisation of node working pressures showing low pressure nodes in red
If you need to produce longitudinal sections along any of the pipes in the network, simply show WaterMate the relevant pipes by picking them and WaterMate will instantly produce fully detailed longitudinal sections showing required air/scour valve locations and detailed horizontal / vertical / compound bends.
WaterMate includes a 2-way link to Vent-O-Mat CATT © design software for the calculation of required air valve sizing and positioning along a pipeline. The results can then be imported back into WaterMate and the fully detailed air valves can be shown in plan view as well as on your longitudinal section.
WaterMate – Typical profile
To re-align your pipe vertical profile, pick near a pipe bend and see the vertical deflection and move your pipe bend or add extra vertical pipe bends (simply by using AutoCAD ‘grips’) and get WaterMate to update your longitudinal section. Trench excavation quantities can also be calculated, using user defined depth categories.
Also included with WaterMate is the Technocad toolbox featuring lots of useful functions to make your draughting a pleasure! The toolbox is accessible via the pull-down menu or directly from a specially designed toolbar.
WaterMate has a full-featured 32-bit Windows on-line help feature with indexing and search features. There is a ‘Quick start’ chapter to get you going quickly.
- 2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 64-bit (x64) processor
- RAM – sufficient to run AutoCAD software; Autodesk recommendation is 4GB+
- Hard disk capacity – program files need approx. 50MB
- Graphics resolution – recommended 1024 x 768 or higher.
- Printer/Plotter – sufficient for your drawing presentation purposes, such as A0 / A1. Practically all plotter/printers supported as printing performed through AutoCAD
- AutoCAD® 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018 supported. Also equivalent AutoCAD Map 3D® and other AutoCAD based products, such as AutoCAD Civil 3D®.
- Operating systems: Windows 8.0 & 8.1 (64-bit) and Windows 10 (64-bit).
- SurfMate or AutoCAD Civil 3D 2021-2018 digital terrain modelling software (for reading ground elevations from a digital terrain model and drawing longitudinal sections (profiles)).